Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I now know where I don't ever want to live.

I just drove down from Pennsylvania to North Carolina for a short workshop on coalescent theory. Throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia, the weather was near perfect: sunny, but just a bit too warm for my taste. Then I reached North Carolina. After driving for about a half an hour I reached some wet pavement and though to myself, "This is odd." I then drove through some of the hardest rain I've ever seen only to emerge 15 minutes later into clear skies and dry pavement. It was as if there was a major rain cloud sitting over a small stretch of highway. When I reached Raleigh, I got out of my car and into the most oppressively humid air I'd ever experienced. After I got to my room and set my things down, I considered going out and exploring the North Carolina State Campus. It was then that I heard multiple pounding claps of thunder followed by a rain storm that has persisted for nearly an hour. Remind me to never move south of the Mason-Dixon line -- I could never survive it.

If I learn anything amazing while I'm down here, I'll try to post on it. Chances are, however, the material is too specialized to be of general interest. Of course, that hasn't stopped me before.

5 Comments:

At 12:50 AM, Blogger Razib Khan said...

come out west.

pennsylvania:north carolina

west coast:pennsylvania

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger RPM said...

I grew up in California, so I know what the weather's like out there. I always thought I could live anywhere, but I don't know if I can deal with summers like this.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Razib Khan said...

i spent my elementary years on the east coast and later moved out to the west coast during my teenage years. a trip back to the east coast one summer a few years back made me realize that i simply couldn't handle east coast humidity anymore....

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Most people will find this shocking, but I sorta miss the muggy weather of S.C.

I've been in Indiana for two years and I've yet to grow accustomed to the winter...sooo cold.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger RPM said...

It seems I brought hell with me when I came back from North Carolina. It was nearly 80deg at 7am this morning in PA. It's not as humid as Raleigh, but it's hot and muggy with a chance of T-storms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home