Monday, November 28, 2005

My Favorite Obscure Movie

Tony at milkriverblog wants to create a list of bloggers' favorite obscure movies. I was hesitant to get involved because I couldn't think of any. Honestly, I don't really know what my favorite movies are. Then, this post by Sean at Cosmic Variance got me thinking about Terry Gilliam films. Sean watched Brazil recently, which is a good, somewhat obscure Gilliam film -- I like all Gilliam films because of his fearlessness and ability to take risks, even if they end in catastrophe.

So, Tony, I'm going to (belatedly) answer your call for obscure films, limiting myself to only things Gilliam related. I have not chosen a Terry Gilliam film (as they are not very obscure), but rather a film about Terry Gilliam trying to make a film: Lost in La Mancha. This film details the failed attempts of Gilliam and his crew to make The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. If you ever doubted Murphy's Law, this film will make you reconsider your doubts. Basically, everything that can go wrong does.

I would recommend Lost in La Mancha for any Gilliam fan, but I assume that they have all seen it by now. So, I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Twelve Monkeys, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (my favorite Gilliam film), Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas, or Time Bandits. It's also a great film for anyone who wants to learn about how movies get made (or not made, for that matter).

1 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger afarensis, FCD said...

Lost on La Mancha was a good flick. My wife and I stumbled across it awhile back and were totally amazed at all the things that went wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home